Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Arriving to Germany and Halle in a Day

My first international experience has begun! I have had quite the time in Germany for the last 24 hours. 

First, there was the Frankfurt airport. It is quite the place. Thankfully, Henrike warned me about how crazy it is, but of course, I got to experience it first-hand. After getting through customs, I had to find my new gate, which was on the first floor....or the second...oh wait, really it was on the first. (Thank you small eight year-old little boy for helping me and my poor confused travel friends.) Then, I got to go through security again. Apparently, I look like a terrorist or some sort of criminal because my tote bag was searched through and I was asked to open my little jewelry bag inside. It made it through Houston security, but apparently Germany isn't familiar with Vera Bradley travel gear. The, I got to get patted down by a grumpy, non English speaking airport security guard. Though I took off my belt and jewelry, I must have beeped and looked threatening in my button up shirt and glasses. Anyways, after surviving being personally invaded by the air port, I proceeded to my gate, which I found with little struggle now. 

As I was sitting, beginning my three hour wait, I decided I needed to do a few things. I needed to call Henrike, go to the bathroom, and take my medicine. Well, finding the bathroom was the only thing on the list that went alright. Instead of speaking with Henrike on the phone, I got to talk to an angry German telekom woman- 4 times! Apparently, you also need to add a + sign before a country code, or so Henrike and I found out later. Next I realized that in order to take my medicine, I needed a drink. But, in order to get a drink I needed Euros. In order to have Euros, though, I needed to find an ATM. (I now can easily relate to the mouse in If You Give a Mouse a Cookie). After wandering around for 15 minutes, I finally found someone who actually knew where an ATM was-- it was 11 gates away. Thankfully, I had no problems with the ATM and easily got my money and a drink. Then, thank goodness I realized my flight was boarding (there was no call to now board) because we got to walk to a tram in the airport then took us onto the tarmac to board our plane. I seriously doubt they would have noticed someone didn't make it onto the golden, only, far away tram....

Now for Germany!!!

Henrike and her family are marvelous hosts! They prepared me a genuine German dinner last night complete with sour kraut and bratwurst! I have my own little bed in Henrike's room and a lovely supply of German chocolates!

Today we went to Halle, a city of about 200,000 people that is about 1,200 years old and about 15 minutes from the village Henrike's family lives in. (yes, a village. Like in a fairy tale, say Hansel and Gretel, or Beauty and the Beast.) Halle is a modern but absolutely wonderfully quaint and charming town Today we road a bus into town...not the train. We tried to catch it, but it was kind of misty and we ran to the train station in Wallwitz, but we still missed it by like 45 seconds. So, we proceeded to walk to the bus stop, but missed that bus too, and ended up walking to the bus stop in the next village, thanks to Henrike's dad telling us the times. And by walking to the next village, I mean it was a 10 minute stroll along a country lane up a hill, haha. We finally got our bus into Halle! Though it may seem unfortunate, I thoroughly enjoyed our morning adventure.

Once in Halle, we went to the train station first, and got tickets for the day. Then we proceeded to the Chocolate Museum and Factory where they make the Halloren Kugeln chocolates. It is the oldest chocolate factory in Germany. They make little chocolates that are in the shape of buttons that were worn on the outfits of the old salt miners in Halle hundreds of years ago. It was an experience comparable to visiting the Blue Bell factory in Brenham, but with more of a museum to it. 

Then we went to downtown Halle, which to Germans is just the city. We walked around to some shops, took pictures of historic building such as the Red Tower and Market Square Church. We then had lunch at a place with crazy music, but pretty delicious food. I finally got a glass of iced tea! It was even peach flavored, but the catch was, it wasn't served over ice, haha. I also discovered I do not enjoy bitter things such as the Rucola in my salad. It was a very bitter tasting leafy thing that appeared to be a tender spring green. 

After lunch, we went to my first ever castle!!! It was awesome. Though, I must admit that castles are a lot more dark and kind of creepy than I was expecting. I still loved it though. It is called Moritzburg and was built in the 15th to 16th centuries. It was so different. It was built by a Catholic Archbishop named Albrecht because he want4ed a fancier place to live. He apparently was a kind of greedy man, haha. Anyways, what was so unique about this castle, is that it has a new, modern building built inside of it that houses an art museum. I got to see all sorts of German and other European art from the beginning of the 20th century to the present day. 

After our castle, we went to the Sky Disc Museum which is a museum famous for having the Nebra Sky Disc which is an astronomically significant German archaeological artifact. The museum also contained all sorts of German artifacts that date back to the Stone Age. 

Afterwards, we walked to Henrike's mom's house for dinner. Her boyfriend made us Indian food and I got to meet her sister. 

Now, after a long full and fun day, I am reclining, eating chocolates, and watching the women's soccer championship...I think Germany just won! Yay!

Tomorrow will be a day in Leipzig and lots more walking! (Thank goodness I wore my converse today. Not only did I look European in my skinny jeans, but I was comfortable!) Hopefully tomorrow will also bring warmer weather.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds like the "best day ever"!
    xoxo
    momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. HeeHee :) It was a pretty good day indeed! After being in Germany and learning about villages, kngdoms, the Middle Ages, Medieval Times, and the Renaissance; I can't wait to watch that movie when I get back!

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you so very much too! I am so thankful for the experience for you! Miss you! Keep finding the great deals those are things you need too (the practical side of me) but get you something too that will absolutely capture the places you go so that when you are 70 years old when you look at it you will be reminded of your first European adventure. I send you a big hug and pray you have a beautiful blessed day.
    XOXO
    LUL
    Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Precious Girl! Though you're not in Texas, I managed to pop in for a bit and spend some time with your Mama. I know she misses you a bunch...your name came up frequently. I just love being with your Mom...she's the greatest!

    I too am happy you get to have this adventure of a lifetime. Sounds so wonderful!!! Wish I were there!

    Love & prayers, Mrs. Gensky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe, thank you so much Mrs. Gensky :) And I am glad you got to see my mommy!

    I appreciate the prayers and love!

    Love,

    Robby Stephany

    ReplyDelete